Today’s quote comes from the Dalai Lama, a man committed to empowering himself and others to let go of emotions that disturb happiness …
“As human beings we all want to be happy and free from misery
… we have learned that the key to happiness is inner peace.
The greatest obstacles to inner peace are disturbing emotions
such as anger, attachment, fear and suspicion,
while love and compassion and a sense of universal responsibility
are the sources of peace and happiness.”
Take a moment to consider where are you experiencing emotional disturbances. Where are they creating obstacles in your life?
I encourage you to use the Dali Lama’s wise words to inspire your next step towards removing these obstacles, so you can live a happier life.
Today it’s International Women’s Day. It’s been around now for over a hundred years, and held on the same day every year since 1914 – 8 March. So:
Happy International Women’s Day to all we women out there,
and to all of us who have significant women in our lives 🙂 .
Today in celebration, and as a woman and a coach who empowers women, I thought I’d shine a light on this special day. Read on for six key facts about its background which you may not know about this important day, this year’s theme and how you can take tangible action in 2018 to support women.
The Background to International Women’s Day
It’s a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity.
The History – 6 Facts You May Not Be Aware Of
Here are some key background facts to the international Women’s Day I found on Wikipedia:
- The first observance of a “National Women’s Day” was held 29 February 1909 in New York, and was organised by the Socialist Party of America.
- The first International Women’s Conference was held in August 1910. It was planned as a one time event to precede the general meeting of the Socialist Second International in Copenhagen, Denmark. During the meeting it was proposed, and agreed by delegates (100 women from 47 different countries) that it become an annual event. It was to be used as a strategy to promote equal rights including suffrage for women.
- The first International Women’s Day took place on 19 March 1911, and was marked for the first time by over a million people in Austria, Denmark, Germany and Switzerland.
- During the first year, in the Austro-Hungarian Empire alone, there were 300 demonstrations. And in Russia a strike by women textile workers on March 8 became the start of the Russian Revolution. In Vienna, women paraded and carried banners honouring the martyrs of the Paris Commune. Women demanded that they be given the right to vote and to hold public office. They also protested against sex discrimination in employment.
- There were many more protests in a variety of countries over the first few years including on March 8 1914 when the famous suffragette Sylvia Pankhurst was arrested on her way to address a rally in London. International Women’s Day has been on March 8 ever since.
- In 1975 it was adopted and first celebrated by the United Nations. Up until then it was then predominantly celebrated by the socialist movement and communist countries. In 1977, they proclaimed March 8 as the UN Day for women’s rights and world peace.
International Women’s Day Themes
Each year the International Women’s Day has a theme. Here’s four key topics they’ve focused on:
- Violence against women
- Poverty and hunger
- Gender equity
The Theme for 2018: #PressForProgress
The World Economic Forum’s 2017 Global Gender Gap Report findings revealed that gender parity is over 200 years away. That’s why the theme for 2018 is #PressForProgress – which is focused on encouraging people to press for progress on gender parity.
How You Can Take Tangible Action To Support Women
As part of the 2018 #PressForProgress theme, they are calling for people to support women by committing to take tangible action in at least one key way.
5 Actions You Can Take To Support Women in 2018
Here are five areas the International Women’s Day organisers have nominated as examples for action:
- Maintaining a gender parity mindset
- Challenge stereotypes and bias
- Forge positive visibility
- Influence the beliefs and actions of others
- Celebrate womens achievements
If you’d like to make a commitment to #PressForProgress, I encourage you to click below:
You can advance the empowerment of women by making a commitment to do so, and by taking at least one action step today.
Happy International Women’s Day!
Are you one of the 36% OR one of the 64% of people? That’ the question I want you to ask yourself today.
It’s February already! And to state the obvious – that’s one month gone of 2018.
That means there’s less than 11 months remaining to achieve any new years resolutions or goals you resolved to achieve in 2018. Have you converted them into written goals that you’ve started implementing?
Are You One of 36% or 64% of People
If you’re still focused and taking action on your new year’s resolutions, then well done, because that means [Read more…]
Today’s wisdom is about the route to success, and comes from well Spanish painter Pablo Picasso (1881-1973). He was considered one of the greatest artists of the 20th century. Picasso was best known as the co-founder of cubism – (a work of art is considered cubist when the artist opts to break up objects and re-assemble them in abstract and geometric form). And, he was a co-inventor of collage.
A talented man, Picasso was also a sculptor, print-maker, ceramicist, stage designer, poet and playwright who spent most of his adult life in France.
Here’s today’s quote on the route to success by Picasso ;
“Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success.”
~ Pablo Picasso“
The 3 Essential Elements To Success
Do you have important goals you want to achieve this year?
If so, then apply the 3 essential elements which Picasso’s reveals in this quote:
- The vehicle of A Plan – create the steps you’ll need to take and the timelines required to achieve your goals
- Fervent Belief – you must believe that it is possible otherwise you’re unlikely to take action
- Vigorous Action – you must take act to implement your plan and do what’s required to succeed.
As Picasso says … there is no other route to success other than these three elements.
Four Other Interesting Fact About Pablo Picasso
Here are four interesting facts you may not know about Pablo Picasso.
- He was baptized Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso … The Ruiz y Picasso are after his mother and father as per Spanish law. The remainder of the names honouried various saints and relatives.
- Picasso had to burn his paintings to keep himself warm as a young artist
- He was the first living artist to have an exhibition at the Louvre – at age 90!
- Picasso maintained several mistresses throughout his life in addition to his wife or primary partner. Picasso married twice and had four children to three different women.
4 Strategic Questions on Creating Your Route To Success
You can create your route to success – by applying the above three elements to your goals. Consider these four strategic questions for you to consider:
- Are your goals written down for this year? For the longer term future?
- Do you have a plan written down for the key actions you’re going to take to achieve your goals?
- Do you believe you can achieve your goal?
- Have you started taking action to achieve your goals?
Answered YES to ALL these questions?? If so, GREAT!
Answered NO to ANY of these question?? Then you must get serious about your goals – NOW is the time to get commit and get it done!
Get Some Assistance To Create Your Route To Success
Working with a coach can assist you to create your route to success. This includes assisting you to write you goals, create your roadmap, develop supportive beliefs and take the actions required to succeed. Book a time to chat with me about how I can best assist you. You can contact me by clicking here.
Take at least one action step today towards progressing your goals.
With warm regards
PS I’d love to hear from you on today’s blog post – please share your thoughts below …
If you want to get different results this year, then it’s smart to get yourself organised and set up NOW. That way you can quickly start taking focused action towards achieving success … And I’ve got a great one-day program to help you do just that.
Keep reading to find how you can be one of only 3 people to get a BONUS 1 hour Personal Coaching call with me valued at $275. This is a pretty special offer as I don’t often do one-off sessions.
In just one day you will gain the uninterrupted time required for you to seriously think about YOUR LIFE and plan the year ahead. You will strategically, holistically and actively:
- Review and clarify your life goals
- Write your 2018 goals
- Take Action to implement
Register now for my 2018 Strategic Goals Setting: Life Review and Planning Workshop and you’re going to $ave money … because of the new format means I’m giving it to you at a fraction of previous workshops price. Plus the workshop price includes a 45 minute coaching session to get you moving on after the workshop. Click here to register or to find out more
As Pablo Picasso said, “Action is the foundational key to all success.”
That’s why I’m going to reward the action takers with a SPECIAL ACTION TAKERS BONUS. …
Special Action Takers Bonus
The first 3 action takers to register will receive a BONUS 60 minute coaching session with me, to be used within 4 weeks of the Strategic Goals Setting Workshop
So … If YOU haven’t clarified your 2018 goals, written them down and created your action road map to implement your life goals … Then it’s time to take action!!
To be one of the three to get this special bonus – REGISTER NOW for my 2018 goals and planning Workshop? Click here to get the SPECIAL ACTION TAKERS BONUS
Otherwise, YOU may miss out !!
BE AN ACTION TAKER! Register now to set yourself up for the year, attend the Workshop AND be one of the three people to receive the SPECIAL ACTION TAKERS BONUS 1 hour coaching session. Click here to register now for my one day Workshop.
PS Remember the bonus offer is only available to the first three people. Here’s the link to register again.